The Security Council,
Having considered again the question entitled "The situation between Iran and Iraq"
Deeply concerned about the prolongation of the conflict between the two countries, resulting in heavy losses of human lives and considerable material damage, and endangering peace and security,
Recalling the provisions of Article 2 of the Charter of the United Nations, and that the establishment of peace and security in the region requires strict adherence to these provisions,
Recalling that by virtue of Article 24 of the Charter the Security Council has the primary responsibility for maintenance of international peace and security,
Recalling its resolution 479 (1980), adopted unanimously on 28 September 1980, as well as the statement of its president of 5 November 1980 (S/14244),
Taking note of the efforts of mediation pursued notably by the Secretary-General of the United Nations and his representative, as well as by the Movement of Non-Aligned Countries and the Organization of the Islamic Conference,
1. Calls for a cease-fire and an immediate end to all military operations;
2. Calls further for a withdrawal of forces to internationally recognised boundaries;
3. Decides to dispatch a team of United Nations observers to verify, confirm and supervise the cease-fire and withdrawal, and requests the Secretary-General to submit to the Council a report on the arrangements required for that purpose;
4. Urges that the mediation efforts be continued in a co-ordinated manner through the Secretary-General with a view to achieving a comprehensive, just and honourable settlement acceptable to both sides of all the outstanding issues, on the basis of the principles of the Charter of the United Nations, including respect for sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and non-interference in the internal affairs of States;
5. Requests all other States to abstain from all actions which could contribute to the continuation of the conflict and to facilitate the implementation of the present resolution;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Security Council within three months on the implementation of this resolution.